Juventus bicycles??
AWN
2007-06-12 05:16:31 UTC
Good evening,

Have any of you ever heard of Juventus bicycles? I have a 56cm red framed
chromoly bicycle with campy componentry and cottered cranks. I will try old
roads but I thought I¹d cast the line first.

Thanks.
Andrew.
AWN
2007-06-14 03:05:54 UTC
If it helps, the bike has an Wienmann rear and Ambrosio front wheelset with
Michelin ŒFifty¹ tires (they still hold 90psi suprisingly enough!). The
downtube shifters, F/R derailleur are campy with Shimano quick releases and
³Balilia² canti brakes. The top tube has ŒChapionne du monde¹ on it, the stem
has ITM on one side and ŒMade in Italy¹ on the other (I assume it means the
same thing??). The front D has an odd looking metal box-shape attached to the
back of the front cage that clearly identifies it as campy... The rear D has
ŒValentino ŒEXTRA¹ Œ stamped into it on one side and the Campy patent on the
other. The pedals say ŒMade in Germany¹ and it¹s fitted with 333 Shimano hubs
front and rear. The downtube shifters say ŒBREV INT¹ above the Campy patent
stamp in red. Other than the fact that this was sourced from Belgian, German,
Italian, US, and likely French parts.....
Any ideas? I can¹t find a shred on this one....
Thanks again!
Andrew.
Rick
2007-06-14 14:13:52 UTC
If it helps, the bike has an Wienmann rear and Ambrosio front
wheelset with Michelin ‘Fifty’ tires (they still hold 90psi
suprisingly enough!). The downtube shifters, F/R derailleur are
campy with Shimano quick releases and “Balilia” canti brakes. The
top tube has ‘Chapionne du monde’ on it, the stem has ITM on one
side and ‘Made in Italy’ on the other (I assume it means the same
thing??). The front D has an odd looking metal box-shape attached to
the back of the front cage that clearly identifies it as campy...
The rear D has ‘Valentino ‘EXTRA’ ‘ stamped into it on one side and
the Campy patent on the other. The pedals say ‘Made in Germany’ and
it’s fitted with 333 Shimano hubs front and rear. The downtube
shifters say ‘BREV INT’ above the Campy patent stamp in red. Other
than the fact that this was sourced from Belgian, German, Italian,
US, and likely French parts.....
Any ideas? I can’t find a shred on this one....
Thanks again!
Andrew.
Andrew . . . I owned a bike shop from the 1974 through the mid-1990's .
. . I can't pin down your Juventus, but I have an educated guess based
on the equipment, about the period it is from . . .

The Campy Valentino equipment was the low end of Campy line in the
mid-1970's. When Suntour and Shimano started their marketing push into
the US it was around 1973 (Suntour was successful first, followed by
Shimano). Fuji bikes were the first Japanese bikes into the US market
and they used Suntour and Diacompe equipment . . . The European bikes in
that era were using Simplex, Huret, and on nicer equipment, Campagnolo -
but the Valentino was the low end of the Campy line. In 1973, bike
dealers sold literally any 10-speed bike they could get into their
stores. The list of European bikes is long, most names I've forgotten,
and most were mediocre at best, at least compared to the entry bikes
that Fuji was selling. There were scads of French, Italian, German,
Dutch, English, Spanish and even a few Russian bikes. It's no wonder
than the Asian bikes took over the entry level US market starting in the
1970's because quite simply, they were better bikes. The description of
the equipment on your Juventus bike clearly puts the bike in the "entry"
level European group around 1974 or 1975. The Michelin Chevron 50 tires,
the Valentino derailleurs, the German pedals, the cottered crank all
suggest that time frame and entry level. Also, the Shimano hubs suggest
an aftermarket component change. European bikes would probably have had
Atom or Malliard hubs (if not Campy)

From your first post, I have a question though. Is the frame really
Cro-moly which was most used by nicer Japanese bikes, or was the frame a
Reynold tubing which was Manganese -moly?

I know I haven't really answered your question with any specificity, but
hopefully the info is valuable on some level.

Rick Stein
http://www.thunderworksinc.com
AWN
2007-06-14 19:22:17 UTC
Rick
2007-06-14 19:36:48 UTC
Post by AWN
Rick,
I apprciate your response and detailed clarifications. You asked about the
frame composition (as I stated it was chromoly originally). I might have
jumped the gun on this one. After re=examining the thick lugged frame, I
would hazard to guess Ishwata steel, gas pipe, etc. I took a stab at the
chromoly based on the weight on *feel* of the frame.
"Ishwata" is a Japanese tubeset I think. Doubtful that would be used on
a European frameset in the 1970's. Now that I think about it, Columbus
tubing which was used by the European manufacturers is a chromoly set .
. . but without a label stating its use, it's probably not an alloy
frameset.

I've long beein
Post by AWN
collecting Raleighs and Meiles, etc. and have had many, many chromoly frames
to compare against. The head tube has a thick silver band around it (looks
like it may have been sprayed with a rattle can) where the typical frame
'markers/manufacturing info' is usually stamped. Someone on OldRoads seem
to think that the Juventus line was produced by Bianchi.
In the era we're discussing, there wasn't much "contract" building by a
manufacturer for another label. I'm not saying it couldn't have
happened, but unlike today where there are relatively few actual makers,
but there are tons of marketed labels, in the 1970's, there were really
tons of makers.

Any thoughts on
Post by AWN
this one? Would a Shimano QR front Ambrosio wheel suggest also another
'component change'?
Yes. The ambrosio was a cheap Italian rim.

When did Shimano first develop the QR axle system?

Don't exactly know but remember "Sanshin" QR hubs (another Japanese
component manufacturer) as early 1973 and presume that Shimano developed
around the same time.

Rick